Re: [AMBER] Chirality flipped for 2 identical molecules

From: Todd Minehardt via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 09:23:45 -0500

All,

Thank you for the input.

This was operator error on my part and has been fixed.

What I should have done was to create the desired ligand parameters from
the atoms and coordinates in the PDB file of the complex + ligands and then
generate the .prepi and .frcmod files in the usual way; what I had done was
to create the .prepi and .frcmod files from atoms and coordinates from a
SDF file for said ligand.

This resulted in a mismatch of atom numbers and connectivity when parsing
the PDB file, although at the end of the day it gave me an unintended but
desired simulation where I have the receptor of interest with one S in one
binding pocket and one R in the other.

How exactly do you get it right?

(1) grep LIG PDB.pdb > LIG_from_PDB.pdb, where the string "LIG" will
certainly be something different but is the ligand of interest
(2) use pymol (or your favorite) to add a hydrogen in the right place,
creating the +1 S enantiomer; export as LIG_S_charged.pdb
(3) split your terminal window and - using only vi, of course - open
PDB.pdb on the left and LIG_S_charged.pdb on the right
(4) make sure the atom names and numbers from the left pane (e.g., C1 and
N2) coordinates match (or very closely) to those in the right panel
(5) having confirmed this, number the atoms on the right (in
LIG_S_charged.pdb) accordingly - if done correctly, you will only have to
add numbers on the hydrogens
(6) antechamber -fi pdb -i LIG_S_charged.pdb -fo prepi
-o LIG_S_charged.prepi -seq yes -nc 1 -c bcc -rn LIG -j 5
(7) parmchk2 -f prepi -i LIG_S_charged.prepi -o LIG_S_charged.frcmod
(8) in tleap:
source leaprc.protein.ff19SB
source leaprc.gaff
source leaprc.water.opc
loadamberprep LIG_S_charged.prepi # Load the prepi file for the ligand
loadamberparams LIG_S_charged.frcmod # Load the frcmod file for ligand
mol = loadpdb PDB.pdb # Load PDB file for protein-ligand complex
solvatebox mol TIP3PBOX 8 # Solvate the complex with a cubic water box
addions mol Cl- 0 # Add Cl- ions to neutralize the system
addions mol Na+ 0 # Add Na+ ions to neutralize the system
saveamberparm mol complex_initial.prmtop complex_initial.crd
(9) for me, I'm using OpenMM for the MD simulation engine and AmberTools
for everything else - run minimization/MD and analyze using any number of
tools including cpptraj/pytraj/mdtraj/etc.
(10) write all this down and make sure you don't mess it up the next time.

This is a bit of a rookie mistake, and I'm chalking this up to my having
been away from AMBER-world for 17 years - but now I'm back.

Thanks again y'all,

Todd Minehardt