Re: [AMBER] ATTN, need revision

From: He, Amy via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 14:50:52 +0000

Hi Priyasha,

I’m interested in force field development but not very confident with DNA/RNA simulations. I’m sure there are many other experts on this list, please help us if you have any comments/suggestions..

Here are a few things I feel you might want to try:

1. Run parmchk2 with -p $AMBERHOME/dat/leap/parm/gaff2.dat option

Same as the last command in Section 3 from the tutorial: https://ambermd.org/tutorials/basic/tutorial5/
This allows parmchk2 to type your modified nucleotide with GAFF2 atom types, and find the equivalents in the GAFF2 force field to the parameters you need.
For example, CM-CM-F could be c -cc-f in GAFF2. (You don’t have to look it up yourself, parmchk2 will find the synonym for you!) The GAFF2-derived frcmod hopefully will have lower penalty score and fewer ATTN remarks.

2. Check out this frcmod file: $AMBERHOME/dat/leap/parm/all_modrna08.frcmod

This is a premade frcmod file for modified RNAs. You may or may not find what you need from this frcmod, but it might give you some idea on how you can fill in the missing parameters in different ways.

3. Parameter derivation using calculations with higher level of theory

Please consider the following tools that are native to Amber parameter refinement:
mdgx
https://ambermd.org/tutorials/advanced/tutorial32/index.php
parafit
http://ambermd.org/tutorials/advanced/tutorial23/
The common way to fine-tune the selected parameters is fitting to single-point energies of multiple conformers. I’m not very sure if it’s still worth doing if you’re aiming at angles.

Hope this is mildly helpful..

Bests,