Re: [AMBER] [Sender Not Verified] Running gas phase TI with pmemd.CUDA.

From: Steinbrecher, Thomas via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 11:23:27 +0200

Hi Fanyu,

maybe running on CPU is sufficient then, pmemd.cuda is really more
optimized for PBC condensed phase systems, small molecules in vacuum may
not even see much speedup there.

Id say your equation is missing the "periodic box to single molecule in
vacuum" correction factor, but even with that in place, my guess is that it
would not work very well, the MMPBSA solvation free energy model is quite
different from what TI will give you and adding them up like that adds
considerable inaccuracy to your result.

If you want the ddG of your peptide mutation in solvent, you are way more
likely to get a useful result by explicitly simulating that change in
solvent (or figuring out why that failed before), than by calculating a
vacuum transformation and correcting that somehow.

Kind Regards,

Thomas