Re: [AMBER] pmemd simulation exits abnormally

From: Steinbrecher, Thomas via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 16:15:18 +0200

in support of my last suggestion, I plotted the x and y box size and
sqrt(x*y) for one of my simulations (one that completed, I should not have
overwritten the halted ones...) and it certainly seems the later term is
very constant while the x and y alone can vary more or less randomly by 10%
or more.

This would explain the seemingly random number of the crashes, as the box
dimensions change almost in a random walk. This also would mean that every
membrane simulation in pmemd.cuda should sooner or later crash with ntb=2
since nothing stops the x and y dimensions from sooner or later changing
too far.

Maybe I'm on the wrong track here, but if the above is correct, should
ntb=2 even be recommended for membrane simulations (which the manual does)?
Sooner or later, the box will thin so much that one will see boundary
artefacts.

Would ntb=3 then be preferred? But that requires surface tension > 0 and
lipid21 membranes should be run without surface tension afaik?

Kind Regards,

Thomas