Re: [AMBER] Poor Performance of Thermodynamic Integration using pmemd.cuda

From: David A Case via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 12:10:40 -0400

On Thu, May 11, 2023, Kevin Mei via AMBER wrote:

>I'm now using Amber 20 and RTX 2080Ti to simulate a membrane
>protein system. This system contains ~80,000 atoms in total. In
>regular simulations, the speed is about 110 ns/d, which is quite
>acceptable. However, once I turned on the Thermodynamic Integration
>module, the speed drops sharply to only 24 ns/d. This is quite strange,
>since the manual says "Performance of the PME TI pmemd implementation is
>approximately 75% that of a regular PME MD simulation", and this also makes
>sufficient sampling difficult.
>
>Does anyone have a clue to this? Any help is appreciated.

Try this, just to make sure there is not something special about your
particular system: go to $AMBERHOME/test/cuda/gti/complex, and run the
Run.SC_NVT script (perhaps with a somewhat larger value for nstlim). Then
re-run setting icfe=ifsc=0, and compare timings.

If you do see a big slowdown, this will provide those who really understand
the code a test case to profile. If you don't see that slowdown, we can
start looking for differences between your example and the one in the test
suite. (The next thing I would check is whether setting nmropt=0 makes a
difference.)

....good luck....dac