[AMBER] AmberTools23 fails to build with python 3.11

From: Charo del Genio via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 21:59:21 +0100

Dear all,
        I'm having serious problems building Amber with python 3.11. Specifically, I get a large number of errors when compiling pytraj, many of which are of the kind

pytraj/datasets/c_datasetlist.cpp:26453:1: error: too many initializers for ‘PyTypeObject’ {aka ‘_typeobject’}

Upon inspecting the file, it looks like the slots that are assumed for PyTypeObject structures are wrong. In fact, the file has

#if PY_VERSION_HEX >= 0x030B00A2
   0, /*tp_inline_values_offset*/
#endif

but there is no tp_inline_values_offset slot for python 3.11, as can be checked in the official documentation at https://docs.python.org/3.11/c-api/typeobj.html

Incidentally, it seems that there may be similar problems for other, older, versions of python as well. The only ones I'm confident are OK are 3.10.11 and 3.9.16.

Additionally, the same file causes the errors

pytraj/datasets/c_datasetlist.cpp:30516:26: error: ‘_PyErr_StackItem’ {aka ‘struct _err_stackitem’} has no member named ‘exc_type’
pytraj/datasets/c_datasetlist.cpp:30518:24: error: ‘_PyErr_StackItem’ {aka ‘struct _err_stackitem’} has no member named ‘exc_traceback’

again, in numerous locations. I'm not sure, however, what these mean, since I'm by no means an expert of python.

So, I suggest that a warning may be put up on the website to indicate that pythonn 3.11 is not (yet) supported.

Cheers,

Charo

--
Dr. Charo I. del Genio