Re: [AMBER] TI calculation regarding charge change in TI region.

From: Michael T Kim via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 15:29:25 -0700

Hi Fanyu,

Regarding the need for some form of correction for charge changing
mutations during alchemical transformation, I will refer to this nice
paper: https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.jctc.8b00825

The observation of ions overlapping with softcore regions (especially with
introducing or destroying charged regions i.e. aspartic acid) is sometimes
referred to as "particle collapse". There are also a few literature
references that note this (
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-14443-z). Our understanding is
that this is due to van der waals repulsions becoming too weak and
electrostatic attraction leading to atom overlap. One workaround can be to
separate the van der waals transformation from the
charging/decharging transformations.

In Amber22, I believe new softcore potentials were introduced to help
mitigate this "particle collapse" and to better enable charge/van der waals
transformations in a single transformation. However, I have not had a
chance to test these myself.

Michael

>>> Fanyu