Re: [AMBER] Amber 22 Nvidia GPU Benchmarks

From: Ross Walker via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 11:03:11 -0400

Hi Vincenzo,

The L40 GPU is effectively a passively cooled version of the RTX 6000 ADA. Here's the specs of each:

L40: https://images.nvidia.com/content/Solutions/data-center/vgpu-L40-datasheet.pdf
RTX6000 ADA: https://www.nvidia.com/content/dam/en-zz/Solutions/design-visualization/rtx-6000/proviz-print-rtx6000-datasheet-web-2504660.pdf

>From this you can see that the L40 is essentially a slightly underclocked (noticeably on memory), passively cooled, but higher priced, version of RTX6000 ADA.

The key numbers are:

                        Mem bw FP32 Tflops CUDA cores TDP MSRP
L40 864 GB/s 90.5 18,176 300W ~$7600
6000 ADA 960 GB/s 91.1 18,176 300W ~$6800
RTX4090 1008 GB/s 82.6 16,384 450W ~$1599

I haven't had a chance to test the RTX6000 ADA or L40 yet but based on the numbers above I expect the performance of the L40 to be roughly equivalent to the 6000 ADA and for those to be a few % slower than the 4090. The main reason being that while the L40/6000ADA have higher FP32 flops on paper they have lower memory bandwidth and a lower max power limit. The later tends to be a big influencer on performance these days since as soon as the GPU hits the power limit (or temp limit) which it easily can these days the boost clocks get scaled back to stay within the power cap. Hence you don't get the full performance that the specs suggest.

My 0.02btc would be to wait until the 4000, 4500, 5000, 5500 versions of the RTX ADA come out since while not quite as fast they will have significantly better price/performance than the L40 or 6000 ADA which are, in my opinion, priced ridiculously. If you need to upgrade today, and money is an object, your best bet is probably to go with the A5500 which are available with a fairly big discount due to being end of line or if you like living on the edge go with 2 slot wide 4090's - although these are grey market and you'll have to promise not to tell NVIDIA who you got them from. ;-)

All the best
Ross