[AMBER] Help needed with thermodynamic integration: Collision of cations in binding energy calculation

From: Mei Kevin via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 16:06:15 +0000

Dear AMBER users,

I hope this email finds you well. I am currently using the thermodynamic integration module implemented in AMBER 20 to calculate the absolute binding energy of a cation to a protein pocket. To achieve this, I am attempting to let one cation inside the pocket vanish while simultaneously letting the one in the bulk appear. I am using a harmonic potential to restrain the pocket-located ion and a softcore potential to smooth the van der Waals energy.

However, I have encountered a problem. When I checked the snapshots of the lambda=0.240452 run, I observed that the two cations have strangely collided together. The cation in the bulk moved inside the pocket, and they are now only 1.1 Å apart. I am concerned that when lambda reaches 1, the ion that should have been in the bulk may become stuck and unable to diffuse into the bulk, which is incorrect.

I would greatly appreciate your help in determining if this phenomenon is normal in TI simulations, or if I have made some errors. Here are the TI parameters I am currently using:

icfe=1
clambda=0.240452
timask1=":913.Na+"
timask2=":914.Na+"