Re: [AMBER] PCA porjection & representative structure

From: Daniel Roe via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2023 08:43:31 -0500

Hi,

Yes, you can use the 'filter' command and/or the 'outtraj' command
with the 'maxmin' keyword to extract frames based on specific dataset
values. Of course, you need to ensure that the trajectory you are
extracting frames from is the same one used to generate the covariance
matrix you used. So something like this:

# Step 1: Read in previously calculated PCs.
# I'm assuming PC1 in column 2 and PC2 in column 3
readdata pca12.dat name MyPcProjection
# Step 1: Fit trajectory frames.
parm complex.psf
trajin complex.dcd
trajin complex.dcd
trajincomplex.dcd
rms first .CA
average crdset avg_set
createcrd traj_set
run
crdaction traj_set rms ref avg_set .CA
# Step 2: Use maxmin to separate frames by bin values in MyPcProjection.
# MyPcProjection:2 should be PC1 from column 2.
crdaction traj_set outtraj Bin1.dcd maxmin MyPcProjection:2 min
<min1-1> max <max1-1> maxmin MyPcProjection:3 min <min1-2> max
<max1-2>

Here <minX-Y> and <maxX-Y> are the minimum and maximum values for
defining bin X, principal component projection Y. You can do an
'outtraj' command for each bin of interest. Now keep in mind the
frames extracted in such a manner are "representative" only insofar as
they come from that bin.

To make things more efficient in the future (and assuming disk space
is not an issue), it may be worth it to save the fit trajectory (i.e.
the trajectory you use to calculate the covariance matrix and do
projections) to a separate file so you don't have to keep regenerating
it on the fly.

Hope this helps,

-Dan