Re: [AMBER] Heating the soft core atoms in TI simulations

From: He, Amy via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 23:43:46 +0000

Dear Dr. York and Dr. Steinbrecher,

Thanks so much to you both for your kind replies. That is really helpful.

I got the temperatures from the MD output (printed along with the energies). I now understand that the temperatures are theoretical temperatures representing the kinetic energies of the atoms. Because I have only 3 soft core atoms, the fluctuations are large but I don’t think they are constantly or unreasonably lower or higher than the target temperature.

I have just two more questions:

1. Regarding the barostat option in TI simulations

I read from previous discussions on our mailing list that, barostat = 2 (using the Monte Carhlo barostat) is recommended for TI simulations instead of the default Berendson barostat.

I am using Amber20 and sander.MPI to run my current calculations. However, when I tried barostat = 2, it says “TI is not compatible with the MC Barostat”.

As the only option in sander, is barostat = 1 still ok for TI simulations? Can you please point me to a discussion or literature on why Monte Carlo barostat is preferred?

2. Regarding the ACES protocol, or setting up a “lamda-REMD” calculation in Amber

For a transition with major conformational change, it would be super helpful if the alchemical free energy calculation can be complemented by REMD. Could you please point me to a tutorial on how to use the ACES protocol, or similarly, setting up a “lamda-REMD” in Amber? I have been thinking about doing this for a long time.

Thanks again for your advice. I really appreciate your help and kind suggestions.

Bests,
Amy