Re: [AMBER] Non-standard KCX residue with missing hydrogen on carbamate and charge -1

From: Dr. Anselm Horn via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 14:20:18 +0100

Barbara,

a few comments on your long e-mail:

The general setup of the ligand incl. geometry optimization seems fine
to me (I did not check the actual structures, though).

It is unclear to me, why you chose bcc atomic charges, when you have
Gaussian available; you could then also have created RESP charges.

The definition of the mainchain file seems not correct to me: The main
chain defines the backbone atoms, in your case this would be just
C,CA,N, and not the complete series of heavy atoms; in the image you
provided KCX is a modified Lys residue, which is connected to the rest
of the protein via its normal peptide bonds.
Probably, the definition in the mc file and the subsequent backbone
definition in the prep file causes the circular structure you observed.

You may want to have a personal look at the automatically derived atom
types of your system, since these are the basis for the parameter
combinations: If you have a system with ff14SB atom types only, you do
not need to run parmchk2 for gaff parameters.
After your parmchk2 runs, you simply strip out the problematic entries
(ATTN), but you did not seem to revise them, which might be problematic.

Since you did not provide the prep and frcmod files for your ligand,
it's hard to give any further advise.

I'd suggest to restart with a corrected mc file, closely inspect the
prep and frcmod files, and use the parameter files to setup a simple
test system via leap like
mini=sequence {ACE KCX NME}
and work on from that (minimization, small md; if all goes well, then
incorporation into the real protein system).

Depending on the 'importance' of your residue, you might want to create
RESP atomic charges or even use two conformations (alpha/beta) for RESP
charge generation.

(For more specific questions, you could also contact me off the list.)

Hope that helps.

Best,

Anselm

Bioinformatik | NHR.FAU
Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU)
Germany