Re: [AMBER] Antechamber with QM software other than Gaussian

From: Alexander Izvorski via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 13:06:31 -0700

Hi Shiji,

Yes, it seems like antechamber does accept GAMESS outputs, using the -fi
gamess option. This option is mostly undocumented, antechamber -L lists it
but the Amber manual does not.

The complete command is something like this:

antechamber -i test.dat -fi gamess -o resp.mol2 -fo mol2 -c resp -eq 2

The same input works in espgen -i test.dat -o test.esp (the format is
apparently autodetected). I've tested with ambertools=22.0 and 20.9.

Here test.dat is what GAMESS calls a "punch" file. I have some examples of
the file format, please let me know if you'd like to have a look. GAMESS
generates its own points at which to evaluate the potential, these seem
very similar to Gaussian.

I am happy I got this working, but would still really like to be able to do
the same thing for other QM software, especially the software already
bundled with Amber, and software which can be installed directly from
conda-forge :)

The tricky part is generating the points - Orca, Psi4, etc can easily
calculate potential-at-a-point, but don't have any builtin function to find
the points on Connoly-type surfaces around the provided atoms. Do you have
any example code which calculates the coordinates of the points?

Best,
Alex