Re: [AMBER] Define angle between planes of monomers in a hexamer

From: David A Case via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 13:13:26 -0400

On Thu, Sep 29, 2022, Rosellen, Martin via AMBER wrote:

>I want to investigate the dynamics of monomers in a hexamer. Therefore,
>I would like to define a plane (or two vectors) for each monomer and
>calculate the angles of neighbouring monomer planes. I had a look at the
>‘vector’ function where I can define a vector from centres of mass atom
>mask1 to atom mask2, which is not optimal in my case.
>
>‘vector corrplane’ seems to be related since its description goes like
>this: “corrplane: This defines a vector perpendicular to the (least-squares
>best) plane through the atoms in <mask1>.”
>
>What I actually want from this is the "(least-squares best) plane through
>the atoms in <mask1>”. In theory, I could rotate that vector back to be
>parallel with the plane again and define second vector by rotating this
>vector 90 degrees in the plane. I hope there is an easier solution.

I think what is already there is what you really want. The way to
define a plane is the specify a vector that is perpendicular to it;
(there are an infinite number of vectors parallel to the plane.) Then, the
angle between two planes *is* the angle between the vectors perpendicular to
the two planes.

...hope this helps....dac