[AMBER] P-O-P angle of pyrophosphoric acid becomes 180 degree after being optimized by sander with DFTB

From: Suitian Lai <laisuitianwork.163.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 11:13:08 +0800 (CST)

Hi,
I am trying optimizing pyrophosphoric acid in implicit solvent with the method of SCC-DFTB. But after the optimization, the angle of P-O-P becomes 178.6 degree.

The initial structure of pyrophosphoric acid was got from PDBid 5erm, and the optimization was run by the qmmm module in sander with igb=2. To achieve a reasonable result, dftb_3rd_order='PR' and parameters downloaded from https://dftb.org/parameters/download/3obophyd/3obophyd-1-2 were also tried but none of them gave a good result.

To get the benchmark, I optimized the structure in Gaussian with B3LYP/6-31g* level of theory and SMD method, and the result is 127.1 degree, which is 51.5 degree smaller then the result of sander. I also tried using DFTB+ with GBSA to study whether the strange result of sander was caused by the deficiency of SCC-DFTB. The result of DFTB+ was 140 degree, which is similar to the result of Gaussian.

Is this a bug of sander? How can I get a acceptable by sander?

Here is the input file
# test qmmm
&cntrl
ifqnt=1,