[AMBER] question about ATP-Mg2+ binding system

From: liu kai <kailiu.outlook.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 15:46:05 +0000

Dear All,

  Recently, I run a simulation of kinase (for PDB:4EOQ as an example) containing ATP coordinating with one Mg2+ ion.
  I use antechamber to build the prep file for ATP without any preblem.
  Antechamber -I ATP.mol2 -fi mol2 -o ATP.prep -fo prep -c bcc -n -4

  I build the amber file for the complex by adding 6 Na+ as counter ions solvated in a TIP3P water box.
  The initial structure of ATP-Mg adapts C3 type, which three O atoms coordinate with Mg2+. defined in 10.1021/acs.jctc.0c01205
  After few ns production run, I found two Na+ ions close (about 2.5 Angstrom) to the phosphate group, except the Mg2+.
  I think the Na+ should not be close to the phosphate group.
  If the simulation is correct, does it mean that ATP can coordinate with two Mg2+ ions at the same time?
  but why only one Mg2+ was found in many PDB files?

  At the beginning, I think the problem maybe the initial position of Na+ is not good accidentally.
  So I use below command to keep the Na+ connter ion away from the protein, and visually comfirmed.
  addIonsRand xx Na+ 0 3.0
  But after few ns simulation, two Na+ again approach to the phosphate group.

 Is there any suggestion? Thanks in advance.

Yours sincerely,
Kai