Re: [AMBER] calculate entropy using MMPBSA.py

From: Thomas Cheatham <tec3.utah.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 06:33:26 +0000

I do not fully understand the error, but I am trying to understand the premise of reducing the system size for MM-PBSA because of the cost (even if publications did this). MM-PBSA is not computationally costly and how do you know what you "cut" from the system does not actually contributed to the dG? Do the whole system. Yes, doing the whole system could add more noise that a reduced system may shield, but the whole system is more correct. [Brings up issues of sampling, convergence, ... which I would be happy to chat about]

Post-processing the MM-PBSA/GBSA is relatively trivial (and I mean by procedure and computational cost and not necessarily in terms of interpretation which requires experience) and much less costly than the production MD. Of course, I hope you have multiple replicates of the system with different initial conditions (at least 3 replicates) to test for similarity and reproducibility.

--tec3

p.s. entropy much harder to estimate than potential energy (enthalpy). Requires "convergence" which is elusive. I'll re-emphasize multiple replicates...