Re: [AMBER] Aligning a dimer for PCA analysis

From: Dr. Anselm Horn <anselm.horn.fau.de>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 10:33:09 +0100

Dimuthu Nirmani,

the problem you describe is a general issue in superimposing two
structures: Also a single molecule might have two conformationally
stable domains connected by a variable region.
And there are several ways to superimpose those structures, i.e. fit to
each domain or to the whole structure etc, yielding different overlays
and different RMSD values. Thus, your decision depends on the research
question, and there is no general answer.

For dynamic cross-correlation analyses in a system with two flexible
entities, fitting influences the results, of course: Fitting on one
entity would sort-of zero-out its movements; maybe can gain some
information for doing this for each entity separately, focussing on the
movements of the other entity.

Maybe this helps.

Best regards,

Anselm

Bioinformatik | NHR.FAU
Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU)
Germany