[AMBER] Adding on terminal hydrogen/phosphate to nucleosides in ff86?

From: Kenneth Huang <khuang8.student.gsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 19:03:01 +0000

Hi all,

I have a bizarre historical domain type of question about how the terminal atoms in ff86 get linked onto nucleosides.

So in ff86, the terminal H5'/H3' and the phosphate backbone (HB,HE, and DPOM) are all denoted as separate residues from the backbone/base/sugar, instead of keeping them all as a single merged nucleoside/nucleotide entry as in ol15. Given that, how does one add on the hydrogen/phosphate groups to the truncated nucleoside since it doesn't auto-add them natively? I played around with it but only arrived at two workarounds

  1. Have a structure already with the hydrogen/phosphate present by manually 'guessing' where they should be
  2. Rename the terminal O5'/O3' as residues DOHE so leap will add on the hydrogens, and delete the extra O3/O5 after

But I figured there should be a better way to add and link on terminal groups if I'm starting from just a 'truncated' nucleoside?

(I also realize the easy solution would be just to take a complete nucleoside/nucleotide from another source, rename the atoms and feed it into ff86, but I'm stuck with trying to do this internally within only ff86)

Best,

Kenneth