[AMBER] Distorted water molecules in QM partition (possible bug)

From: Antonio Frances Monerris <antonio.frances.uv.es>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 16:56:26 +0100

Dear Amber community,

I am performing QM/MM simulations with Amber 20 and Orca 5.0. I would like to report a problem when including water molecules in the QM partition using Sander (Amber 20).

The water molecules inside the QM partition appear with wrong H-O-H angles (~70 º) and short O-H distances (~0.7-0.8 A) already in the first frame of the QM/MM simulation. The water molecules minimized with MM had correct parameters prior to the QM/MM job. This strange water molecule distortions are not solved during the QM/MM minimization.

My guess is that there is a problem in the subroutine that extracts the coordinates from the whole system and prepares the .xyz files for the QM program. Is this a known problem? Am I including any incorrect keyword? Find below the minimization input I use.

Many thanks for your help.

Best regards,
Antonio Francés
Physical Chemistry Department
University of Valencia (Spain)

INPUT:

production

&cntrl

! TYPE OF JOB (MINIMIZATION)
imin=1,

! GENERAL KEYWORDS
iwrap=1,
irest=0,
ntx=1,
igb=0,
cut=9.0,
ifqnt=1,
nmropt = 1,

! MINIMIZATION KEYWORDS (ONLY APPLY IF IMIN = 1)
maxcyc=50,
ntmin=1,
ncyc=25,
ntpr=5,

! PRODUCTION KEYWORDS
dt=0.001,
ntpr=1,
ntwx=1,
ntwv=-1,
ntwr=5
ntt=3,gamma_ln=1,
temp0=0.0,
ntp=0,
ntb=1,
ntf=2,ntc=2,
/

! QM/MM SECTION
&qmmm
qmmask = '.1-18,41-62,85-116,5174-5176,1589-1591',
qmcharge = 2,
spin = 3,
qm_ewald = 0,
qmcut = 9.0,