Re: [AMBER] Non-integer pbsa surface charge?

From: David A Case <dacase1.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 08:01:26 -0400

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021, Matthew Guberman-Pfeffer wrote:

>Thanks, Dr. Case, for the explanation. I'm still a little confused on the
>difference between an electrically neutral explicit solvent simulation and
>the slightly charged implicit solvent result. Is the difference because
>some charges in the explicit solvent are not confined to the surface of the
>cavity?

Apparent surface charges are one way of describing the effects of an
implicit solvent that represented as a continuum dielectric. One can show
by Gauss' law that the sum of the surface charges is less than the charge
inside the surface. This is a feature of treating the solvent as a
dielectric, and deciding to represent this through apparent surface charges.
Neither option is required, and neither is used for explicit solvent
simulations.

...dac