Re: [AMBER] Is AMBER multithreaded?

From: David A Case <dacase1.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 21:13:53 -0400

On Fri, Sep 17, 2021, James Kress wrote:

>I examined the Amber21 manual but could find no evidence that Amber20 is
>multithreaded.
>
>So, Is AMBER multithreaded or do I have to use MPI to use all the cores on
>my compute server?

Amber parallelism primarily works via MPI. Some parts have multithreading
vi OpenMP; this is most prominent in cpptraj (see Section 34.2.7 of the
manual.) There is also some hybrid OpenMP/MPI capability in pmemd (Section
22.5), but I don't think it is used very much -- most development effort
there has been on GPUs.

Others should chime in here if I am missing something.

...dac