Re: [AMBER] GIST question

From: Franz Waibl <Franz.Waibl.uibk.ac.at>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 19:03:01 +0200

Dear Reyes,

I still think that a value of 125576000 is not expected. However, it is
hard to say why this happens. I assume that this value was obtained
after stripping the ions from the simulation box?

Regarding the ions, the original formulation of IST assumed that there
is only one solvent species. The same is true for the existing GIST
implementations. If you have a significant number of ions in your
system, I am skeptic whether the results would be correct. Specifically,
by stripping the ions you remove interactions from your system which
might be relevant. If you include them you get the problems with Esw
that you mentioned, and it might also mess up the entropy calculation.

As it happens, we are currently working on an extension of GIST that can
take the ions into account (paper submitted). While the manuscript is
not yet on the internet, I could help you try it out if you want. We use
a Python implementation for the ion entropy, and updated GIGIST so that
the ions don't mess with the entropy calculation. If you don't have many
ions in your system, you would not need the entropy. Then you could just
use the updated GIGIST, and use a slightly more complicated referencing
for Eww. The updates are currently in a pull request on
github.com/liedllab/gigist. But if the high values also occur after
stripping the ions, there must be some other problem anyway.

If you cannot figure out why the high values are occurring, you could
send your input files, or I could offer to discuss it via Zoom (both
assuming that the system you are working on is not secret).

Best regards,

Franz