Re: [AMBER] Estimating protein-protein interactions

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 09:32:42 -0400

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 9:31 AM Matthew Guberman-Pfeffer
<matthew.guberman-pfeffer.uconn.edu> wrote:

> So, even in the simulation, the VDW term is positive. This puzzles me.

Remember, positive or negative energy terms (or even potential energy)
on their own don't matter so much - the zero point is pretty
arbitrary. What matters is the difference in energy between
conformations, and the free energy of the system (enthalpy *and*
entropy, roughly how the energy tends to be distributed). Just because
the van der Waals term is positive on its own doesn't necessarily mean
a whole lot.

If you're trying to look at the "stability" of something, you are
talking about free energy, not just energy (enthalpy). So you'll need
to do some sort of averaging. You could look at conformational
distributions or some other structural property (e.g. how the average
distance between the proteins or the number of contacts changes with
different conditions) to try to get at the answer indirectly, or you
can try to get at it more directly by averaging snapshot energies
similar to what Niel Henriksen et al. did in this paper:
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ci500132c

Or you could try to get at the free energies via something like
umbrella sampling, but defining a reaction coordinate between the
interfaces could be a bit tricky and could be tough to converge.

Anyway, hope this helps,

-Dan