Re: [AMBER] ambertools20 - request for older version

From: David A Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 09:07:12 -0400

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021, Ruben Cruz wrote:

>LSB Version: :core-4.1-amd64:core-4.1-noarch
>Distributor ID: CentOS
>Release: 7.9.2009
>Codename: Core
>
>But installation fails with the next error:
>
>/usr/bin/ld.gold: --push-state: unknown option
>/usr/bin/ld.gold: use the --help option for usage information

The real error is above what you quote:

   The C compiler
     "/trinity/shared/easybuild/software/GCCcore/10.2.0/bin/cc"
   is not able to compile a simple test program.

You may be able to find the program that we being compiled here:
/home/rcruz/amber20_src/build/CMakeFiles/3.18.4/CompilerIdC/

Can you try a different compiler version, say from an earlier gcc release?
Perhaps use the compilers that come with the OS (e.g. /usr/bin/gcc, etc.),
unless that is actually what is happening here.

I'm guessing that going to a really old version of AmberTools won't help
very much. I'm out of my depth on the differences between ld and ld.gold,
but the former is by far the more common, and it's not clear that gold is
still under much development. It looks like it is not accepting options
that were probably intended for "ld" instead. Again, this suggests trying a
really standard install of gcc.

...good luck...dac