Re: [AMBER] Fw: [josiah.bones.anu.edu.au: Calculation of ligand restraints in TI]

From: <accuratefreeenergy.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 13:46:33 -0400

Hi Josiah,

        Here is what I know/believe:

        The 6DOF restraints on the bound ligand at its dummy state (i.e.,
lambda=1; not interacting w/ protein except the restraints), if correctly
set up, are similar to restraining the COM of the ligand in bulk solution.
Your ligand has 6DOF to move without changing anything in its dynamics or
free energy state. However, at the real state (i.e., the ligand is
interacting w/ protein in addition to the restraints), the restraints will
have effects on its dynamics and free energy state and hence you need to do
some corrections.

        When turning on gti_output=1, you will get the restraint energy for
each window. However, it is still not the correction term. Remember, what
you miss is the free energy of restraining ligand in the protein
environment. One quick thing you could do is: check the printed restraint
energy of the real state (lambda=0). If the standard deviation of the
restraint energy distribution is small, e.g., less than 2kcal/mol, you can
directly calculate the restraint free energy through Zwanzig equation. In
most cases, you should be able to get a good estimate.

        A classic reference to start with is " Absolute Binding Free
Energies: A Quantitative Approach for Their Calculation" 2003 J Phys Chem B
107(35). If I find good recent references, I will let you know.

Best,

Taisung