[AMBER] Fw: [josiah.bones.anu.edu.au: Calculation of ligand restraints in TI]

From: Josiah Bones <josiah.bones.anu.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 22:08:33 +0000

Hi Taisung, thanks for your reply.

I'll give a very quick overview of what I'm trying to do, to try and get an idea if I am on the right track.

I'm attempting a single simulation where V0=ligand in bulk solution, and V1=ligand bound to protein. This is due to charges on the ligands. I intend to use the 6DOF restraints on the bound ligand, while only restraining the COM of the ligand in bulk solution to ensure it doesn't interact with the nearby protein, but not limit its internal degrees of freedom. I believe the COM restraints don't need to be accounted for in any special way in the thermodynamic cycle?

In this particular case, I believe you are saying I would still need an additional simulation to calculate the dG of turning on the Boresch restraints for the bound state, and then use the analytical equation for these Boresch restraints. I refer to the recent paper, regarding these restraints:

"Additionally, Boresch restraints have been implemented, which can be used in an automated fashion for ABFE simulations with many diverse ligands."

and

"The implementation in AMBER20 also permits these restraints to be included in the overall alchemical transformation such that the component of the free energy arising from the restraints in the bound state can be computed in the same way as other force field terms."

I saw the option gti_output in the Amber20 manual, and wondered if this provided the contribution of the restraints within the single calculation. If this is not the case, would you have any recommendations for what settings I need to include in the different steps in order to capture the thermodynamic cycle correctly, and to automate the use of the Boresch restraints as detailed in the recent paper? I am comfortable with the overall running of the primary simulation (capturing dG of binding in one step) but not with the additional method required for capturing the Boresch restraints. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Josiah