[AMBER] Possible impact of cryptomining limitations on new NVidia GPUs on pmemd performances

From: Pietro Amodeo <pamodeo.icb.cnr.it>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2021 10:28:40 +0200

Hi all,

because of the combination of poor availability of GPUs and cumbersome
and very supplier-restricting ordering policies for government agencies
in Italy, in the last six months my group practically gave up trying to
purchase GPU workstations and servers.

Thus, we didn't keep up with the ongoing hardware/software NVidia
measures to limit cryptomining on gaming GPU and concurrent development
of processors dedicated to cryptomining. Since now we are rather in a
hurry to replace old and defunct GPUs, I would like to understand the
possible implications of both issues on the choice of possible GPUs for
AMBER calculations.

Thank you in advance for any useful info.

Best regards,

Pietro