Re: [AMBER] APR- Umbrella sampling of Receptor- ligand complex

From: Niel Henriksen <shireham.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 20:37:49 -0700

Hi Rehan,

A couple of suggestions ....

1) APR is usually not ideal for a buried binding pocket. Since APR requires
a physical pathway to connect the free energy endpoints (ie, bound -->
unbound), there can be major sampling problems if a large conformational
change is required to proceed along the pathway. The approach generally
works best for cases when at least part of the ligand has some solvent
exposure in the bound state (e.g., cyclodextrin and its ligands). It is a
little hard to tell from your screenshot, but I suspect your protein/ligand
system will at least be challenging, if not near impossible. Here's an
example of using APR on a protein/ligand system which required some careful
tuning to be reliable:
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.jctc.7b00275

2) You might consider an alchemical approach (e.g. thermodynamic
integration, FEP, etc) if your pocket is as buried as it seems.

3) If you are really convinced that APR is the right approach, I definitely
recommend first getting comfortable using it with a simple model system
like cyclodextrin or cucurbituril. The simulations will run quickly which
will allow you to quickly troubleshoot any problems you might encounter.

Good luck!
--Niel