Re: [AMBER] Conformation search speed increase with Cartesian restraints

From: Liao <liaojunzhuo.aliyun.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 05:02:32 +0800

Dear Charo,
Thanks for your answers and comments,
Talking about gamma_ln values, for the past few months I am still trying to gradually digest the effect of its different values on the speed conformation search. The reason why I used 0.01 is because based on this paper (https://www.cell.com/biophysj/pdfExtended/S0006-3495(15)00003-X), they reported the fastest conformation search using the smallest friction coefficient, although that is for implicit solvent. Why would explicit solvent be different? The water molecules may slow things down for all values of gamma_ln, but it shouldn't change the trend from what I think?

Going back to an old thread from 2015 (http://archive.ambermd.org/201512/0039.html), the paper suggested by Dave (Langevin dynamics of peptides: The frictional dependence of isomerization rates of N-actylananyl-N'-methylamide ) I had carefuly read, for their small system of 12 atoms they tested, it did not have solvent in it as I understood. They concluded gamma_ln=2 gives the fastest conformation change, based on equilibrium population and time to equilibrium. Although when they change the analysis criteria for calculation of the reaction rate to simple counting of barrier crossing events, one that considers recoils (product moving back to reactant?), it is 0.01 that is fastest. On the marco-level, kinetics definitely should be change in reactant/product population over unit time, but on the microscopic level, maybe there's a broader definition?

As for the internal distance restraints I was talking about, what I mean is that I either use Cartesian restraints to hold the Zinc and its neighboring residues fixed; or I apply a distance restraint to keep the Zinc atom at a fixed distance from its neighboring sulfurs. So the same groups are being held in the two scenarios, just in a different way.