Re: [AMBER] differences in counterion position with water models and questions

From: Dr. Anselm Horn <anselm.horn.fau.de>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 14:37:52 +0200

Dear Vaibhav,

I just want to comment to your question 2 very shortly: yes.

The difference in experimentally found micelle stability, which depended
on the nature of the counterion (Li+, Na+, K+), has been also
investigated computationally by MD and was called sodium effect (DOI
10.1002/chem.201001150).
Our own investigations showed an influence of the nature of the
surrounding ions (Li+, Na+, K+) upon fibrillar amyloid-beta oligomers
(DOI 10.1007/s00894-018-3920-4), which is also known from experiment.
Of course, there might be more literature about that topic available.

In short, the different metal ions interacted in the simulations with
neighboring carboxylate groups in different ways, i.e. bridging vs.
non-bridging, which will in turn affected the stability of the overall
protein (complex).

Best regards,

Anselm