Re: [AMBER] Distance tolerance for identifying common atoms in thermodynamics integration

From: zz sheng <shengzizhang.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2021 11:00:43 -0400

Hi David,

For mutating amino acids for TI softcore, do you know what set of atoms are optimal common atoms? I currently only specify C, N, O, CA, H, HA as common atoms. Some residues do share CB, CG etc. common atoms, but I do not know if there are amino acid specific side chain C-C angles that will limit the specification of these atoms as common. Sometimes the wild type and mutated residue side chains could have very different conformations to avoid clashes, so these non backbone atoms usually have different positions. By specifying non backbone atoms as common atoms, will the later MD conformation sampling of these atoms be affected or if the common atoms can sample different conformations for the wild type and mutated residues?

My test runs showed that the ddG predictions from TI performs poorly when mutating Gly or small side chain residues to large side chain residues with clashes expected at protein interfaces, I wonder if there is any way to improve the protocol. Running for longer simulations seem did not help so far (2ns vs 5ns per window, 12 windows in total).

In general, is it possible to tell the reliability of the calculated ddG from the trajectory or energy outputs of TI MD? I did not see any tutorials on this.

Best,

Zizhang