Re: [AMBER] Apply Lennar-Jones potential between small molecules

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 09:48:09 -0400

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 7:21 PM Ming Tang <m21.tang.qut.edu.au> wrote:
> MD with the above conditions initially produced same distance (indicating that the atom index is correct in cpptraj and in IGR) in dist_vs_t and test.dat until thousands of steps of simulation when the distance in dist_vs_t and test.dat are different.

To understand this, you need to understand how imaging works in Amber.
During the MD simulation, imaging (when iwrap=1) applies *only* to the
output trajectory, i.e. molecules are not actually "wrapped" when they
cross the unit cell boundary. So things like restraint distance do
*not* use the minimum image convention. This is why it is important to
use 'autoimage' on input coordinates prior to restarting a simulation
of multiple molecules with restraints - if one of the molecules was
imaged, the restraint distance will not account for that.

However, by default the 'distance' action in cpptraj *does* use the
minimum image convention. So I'm guessing what happens is in the
simulation, one of the molecules crosses a unit cell boundary. To test
this, calculate the distance again with cpptraj, but this time use the
'unwrap' action followed by 'distance' with the 'noimage' keyword,
e.g.

unwrap
distance d1 :178.N,C8,C9,C10 :179.N,C8,C9,C10 out test.dat noimage

I'm guessing the two distances will then match.

The long-term solution here is to use 'iwrap=0' (i.e. no imaging) when
you have NetCDF trajectory/restarts enabled. I think we need to start
making this the default behavior in Amber to avoid imaging issues.

-Dan