Re: [AMBER] Superimpose

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2021 14:06:11 -0500

Hi,

I think you're conflating imaging with superposition (best-fit
alignment). Imaging is moving things back into the primary unit cell.
Superposition is aligning the system to a reference. Commands like
'image' and 'autoimage' relate to the former; commands like 'rms' and
'align' relate to the latter.

You can do both, but unless you're running cpptraj version 5 or above
you need to do imaging before rms-fitting. So say I have a DNA
dodecamer in solvent and I want to image and best-fit to the structure
in the first frame and remove the solvent. I would do something like
this in cpptraj:

parm myparm.parm7
trajin mytraj.nc
strip :WAT parmout strip.parm7
autoimage origin
box nobox
align first :1-24&!.H=
trajout strip.image.fit.nc
run

The resulting trajectory 'strip.image.fit.nc' can be used with the
corresponding topology 'strip.parm7'. Hope this helps,

-Dan