Re: [AMBER] Nvidia RTX 3080/3090 Servers

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2021 09:03:53 -0500

Hi Mish,

It works fine as long as you are using a properly ducted server that is designed for 8 cards and you need to set the case fans to full speed. It will sound like a jet engine so you do not want to install this in an office. It also requires 2 x 220V 20AMP power feeds (4 if you want redundancy) so you can't run it off of a standard US office circuit but most data centers support this fine.

I have tested this extensively with 8 x 3090 GPUs. I not tried with 10x3090s and I suspect that would not work even though there is space due to power constraints.

You need to use the new Gigabyte 2 slot wide 3090s that also have the power connectors going into the back of the card just like the tesla cards. Pictures attached.

The NVIDIA EULA argument has been debunked multiple times. Honestly I would just hang up on any vendor that spouts that nonsense since it just tells you they don't really know what they are talking about. If you are worried about the EULA just use the Tesla drivers anyway which don't have the line people to refer to in the the actual license agreement. E.g.

https://us.download.nvidia.com/tesla/460.32.03/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-460.32.03.run

And the license in question: https://us.download.nvidia.com/tesla/460.32.03/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-460.32.03.run - note section 2.1.3 Limitations does not contain the data center terms that are in the GeForce drivers.

Hope that helps, I'll ping you directly with some suggestions of companies you can talk to.

All the best
Ross