Re: [AMBER] Error searching for compatible GPU

From: David A Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 10:35:50 -0500

On Sun, Jan 10, 2021, Hongwei Tan wrote:

>I just installed Amber20 on my computer with two Nvidia tesla C2050 cards.
>The operation system is Unbuntu 18.04. And the Cuda version is 9.0. No error
>information was reported during installation and compile processes.However,
>when I tried to run pmemd.cuda, I got an error message:
>"Error searching for compatible GPU."

Amber20 no longer supports the Fermi architecture:
      https://ambermd.org/GPUHardware.php

We did not take this step lightly, but the C2050 dates from 2011, and the
internals of GPUs have changed so much since then that it was not feasible
to continue such support. The performance of more modern GPUs, say going
all the way back to the GTX1080Ti, is at least an order of magnitude better
than the C2050. If money is tight, you might be able to find some bargains
out there for replacement GPUs.

....regards...dac