Re: [AMBER] positive Amber FF energies?

From: Vaibhav Dixit <vaibhavadixit.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2020 12:28:46 +0900

Dear All,
As seen in the snapshots below, the E distribution of the system is
skewed and it seems to have equilibrated only in the last 2000 frames. But
it also seems like its changing conformation which I suspect is mostly due
to the two relatively free terminals loops of the protein.
Thus can you please suggest how to ensure that the system is equilibrated
before I start extracting Es and do other types of analysis with the same?

I have also kept the number of protein atoms, solvent, and ions constant
during the system setup for the two redox states.

Thanks a lot for valuable insights into the way Amber Es are calculated.

[image: image.png]

[image: image.png]
[image: image.png]

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 1:29 PM Thomas Cheatham <tec3.utah.edu> wrote:

> Jason's reply is excellent as usual and also accurate, despite the fact
> that AMBER is now a side job for him and he is graciously answering on his
> own time. Absolute energies have little meaning. The +/- does not matter,
> only the relative.energies.
>
> If you look at AMBER vs. CHARMM with solvated energetics, AMBER is more
> negative since CHARMM water models add a vdw on the hydrogen on their water
> (TIPS3P?) model making more vdw energy and positivity. Is it better/worse;
> look for the agreement to experiment. Yet, absolute energy values only
> matter when you can directly compare to an (exactly) equivalent system,
>
> Details matter, as do assumptions. The assumption that negative is
> "favorable" (or required) is wrong - it is all relative...
>
> We previously did direct potential energy comparisons; required equal # of
> waters, ions, etc.
>
> https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24835734/
>
> --tec3
>
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 11:32 AM Vaibhav Dixit <vaibhavadixit.gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Dear All,
> > I'm getting positive Amber FF energy values after I stripped the solvent,
> > and ions.
> > I did this for other proteins recently and got meaningful and -ve E
> values.
> > Thus I'm a bit puzzled about what these energy values might mean.
> >

> You've hit the nail on the head. They mean absolutely nothing. The only
> thing that has any meaning whatsoever are energy differences.
>
> Constant shifts in the potential energy surface (for example, changing bond
> potentials from [k*(x-x0)^2] to [k*(x-x0)^2 - 1e5] have no effect on forces
> and, by extension, trajectories.
>
> Also note that stripping the solvent and ions is a huge deal, and can
> completely change whether a species is stable or not. As an example, the
> dominant species in an ensemble of an isolated amino acid is its
> zwitterionic form, where the amine group is positively charged and its
> carboxylate negative. This flips in the absence of an aqueous solvent
> (which works to stabilize those charges), and the dominant stable state in
> the gas phase is its uncharged amine-carboxylic acid form.
>
> >From the printout you posted below, it doesn't seem like you turned on any
> kind of implicit solvent like GB, so I would not be at all surprised to
> learn that many configurations are only stable because of the effects of
> the solvent. But it's important to note that positive MM energies by
> themselves are completely meaningless. In fact, the values you show seem
> perfectly sensible. Bonds and angles are treated as ideal springs and so
> cannot have an energy lower than 0, and dihedrals are frequently the same
> way. The electrostatic interactions are slightly attractive, as are the
> van der Waals (again, not surprising as the vdW potential is universally
> attractive at longer distances and removing solvent and ions also removes
> [...]

Regards,
Dr. Vaibhav A. Dixit,
Visiting Scientist at the Manchester Institute of Biotechnology (MIB), The
University of Manchester, 131 Princess Street, Manchester M1 7DN, UK.
AND
Assistant Professor,
Department of Pharmacy,
Birla Institute of Technology and Sciences Pilani (BITS-Pilani),
VidyaVihar Campus, street number 41, Pilani, Rajasthan 333031.
India.
Phone No. +91 1596 255652, Mob. No. +91-7709129400,
Email: vaibhav.dixit.pilani.bits-pilani.ac.in, vaibhavadixit.gmail.com
​http://www.bits-pilani.ac.in/pilani/vaibhavdixit/profile
https://www.linkedin.com/in/vaibhav-dixit-b1a07a39/
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-4015-2941
http://scholar.google.co.in/citations?user=X876BKcAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=sra