Re: [AMBER] positive Amber FF energies?

From: Thomas Cheatham <tec3.utah.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2020 04:29:17 +0000

Jason's reply is excellent as usual and also accurate, despite the fact that AMBER is now a side job for him and he is graciously answering on his own time. Absolute energies have little meaning. The +/- does not matter, only the relative.energies.

If you look at AMBER vs. CHARMM with solvated energetics, AMBER is more negative since CHARMM water models add a vdw on the hydrogen on their water (TIPS3P?) model making more vdw energy and positivity. Is it better/worse; look for the agreement to experiment. Yet, absolute energy values only matter when you can directly compare to an (exactly) equivalent system,

Details matter, as do assumptions. The assumption that negative is "favorable" (or required) is wrong - it is all relative...

We previously did direct potential energy comparisons; required equal # of waters, ions, etc.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24835734/

--tec3