Re: [AMBER] question about dihedral angles

From: Karl Kirschner <k.n.kirschner.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2020 08:53:32 +0100

Hi, Richard,

  You can rotate a dihedral in tleap by using the "impose" command. Let's
say you have an tleap object named "mymolecule" that is composed of several
residues, and you want to rotate residue 7's atoms that are named C1, C2,
C3 and C4 to 120 degrees, then the following command should work:

impose mymolecule {7} { {C1 C2 C3 C4 120.0} }

Note that it becomes a bit unclear if you have rotating a dihedral is
between two residues. Then you indicate the lower residue number, and start
the sequence with it's atom names. In the Amber20's manual, you can find
additional examples on page 242 (subsection entitled "Procedures for
building oligosaccharides using the GLYCAM-06 parameters").

An alternative approach is to use PyMol, which would enable you to visually
see the rotation being made and if any atomic clashes happen. To do this
you need to label the atoms via their "ID" and then use the command
"set_dihedral" (e.g. "set_dihedral ID 6, ID 7, ID 8, ID 9, 120") Using
PyMol will add a few steps to your workflow since the resulting structure
must be saved to a PDB-formatted file and then be loaded back into tleap.
However, this approach will help maintain a precise understanding of what
is structurally happening to your molecule with your manual manipulation.
Furthermore, you can create a PyMol script that allows you to encode these
changes and then have a reminder of exactly what you did for your model
building, increasing the reproducibility of the workflow if needed later.

Bests,
Karl