Re: [AMBER] System preparation for MMPBSA.py

From: Pengfei Li <ambermailpengfei.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 11:02:16 -0500

Hi Satyajit,

When you calculate MMPB/GBSA results for metalloproteins, if the metal center does not change during the ligand binding, then it is fine for you to use a bonded model parameterized by MCPB.py. If the metal center does change during the ligand binding, such as ligand will bind to the metal ion during the binding process, you should not use a bonded model because it can not from/break metal-ligand bonds, in which case a nonbonded model would be more suitable. (You can check this tutorial about the difference of bonded and nonbonded models: https://ambermd.org/tutorials/advanced/tutorial20/index.htm. ) However, as Prof. David Case pointed out, the PB/GB results for divalent ions depend very strongly on the dielectric radii that are used, so for the later case I am not sure how meaningful the obtained results are. This issue may be insignificant for the former case when you use the bonded model as in the bonded model the metal ion usually has a charge less than its formal charge.

Hope it helps,
Pengfei