[AMBER] Adding Ions

From: Gustaf Olsson <gustaf.olsson.lnu.se>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 12:56:08 +0000

Hello mailing list

I am trying to construct a system which needs to include a chloride anion to neutralise positive charge.

Doing this in leap with the addIons command works and I am left with a topology and input coordinate file which according to “parmed" has the correct charge (0) and everything looks OK.

Now, I would like to be able to place the ion in the system using packmol. This is where I run into problems.

Writing out a PDB file from leap or parmed produces this

    HETATM 1 CL CL 2 5.829 9.056 -1.558 0.00 0.00 CL

This is not usable when trying to build the system with packmol as there is no way to use a two letter abbreviation in a PDB file and read it correctly back into leap, causing all kinds bad.

Is there a reason why I should NOT place the ion in the system using packmol? If not, how can I create a PDB file for a singe Cl- ion, place it in the system using packmol and have a readable file in leap?

Should I do something similar to “WAT = SPC”, as in naming the chloride ion CLX (for example) and setting CLX=CL?

Any help appreciated

Best regards
// Gustaf