Re: [AMBER] NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 GPUs (Ross Walker)

From: German P. Barletta <pbarletta.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 16:48:39 -0300

Ross,
thanks for all the info. Hope you don't mind answering a few extra
questions:

   1. I've read that Amber developers plan on taking advantage of the new
   A100's MIG feature. So with 2 A100s one should be able to run REMD with up
   to, say, 12 replicas. This would be great news for those of us without
   access to HPC servers, but I wonder if A100s and the necessary hardware
   will be too expensive. Do you think they will be worth it? Or is it better
   to stick with the 3080s and hope the next generation will feature MIG on
   cheaper cards?

   2. About the 3090s power consumption: do the 3080s have the same issue?
   Do you think some optimization on the code can be done or should I expect
   max power consumption and set up my system for extra cooling? I worry about
   the card lifespan too.

Thanks for all the help.