Re: [AMBER] Refitting charges with MCPB destabilizes the active site

From: Pengfei Li <ambermailpengfei.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 16:19:01 -0400

Hi Tommaso,

Sorry for the late reply. I am busy with preparing a class for this semester.

I think it makes sense that you got Ni ions leave the metal site quickly if you refit the charges using 3a or 3b option in MCPB.py, because it gives you charges for the bonded model, in which the charges of the Ni ions will be significantly less than their formal charges. I do not think change the level of theory for ESP fitting will help.

You said you want to calculate the ligand binding affinities, will the ligands bind to the metal ion(s) directly? If so, I would suggest you to use a nonbonded model (without fitting any charges) for the Ni ions. If the ligands do not bind to the metal site directly, you can use a bonded model instead.

Pengfei