Re: [AMBER] How to setup a QM/MM calculation in Amber

From: Goetz, Andreas <agoetz.sdsc.edu>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 00:23:32 +0000

Hi Sadaf,

Amber will use Orca as an external QM program if you have Orca installed. See chapter 10.2 of the Amber 19 manual. As a reference please have a look at following publication where we introduce the interface to external QM programs for QM/MM simulations:

https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/jcc.23444

If you are not familiar with QM/MM simulations, I would suggest to get started with semiempirical or DFTB methods. These are built into Amber and computationally cheap so you don’t have to waste a lot of computational resources while running tests. There is a very basic QM/MM example in the Amber tutorials here

http://ambermd.org/tutorials/

To study a reaction, you probably will want to combine a QM/MM potential with an appropriate sampling method to find a reaction path, e.g. nudged elastic band or umbrella sampling along a suitable reaction coordinate.

All the best,
Andy

Dr. Andreas W. Goetz
Assistant Research Scientist