Re: [AMBER] Charge neutrality in QM/MM system

From: James Kress <jimkress_58.kressworks.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 23:51:09 -0500

David,

Thanks for the response.

> How do you know what the MM charge sum is?

I take the point charge file generated by Sander and add up all the charges
in it. If the initial MD file is charge neutral, I am assuming the selected
subset of the MD charges should neutralize the negative charge of the QM
subsystem. If they don't, then the QM/MM system will be severely
overpolarized by the net positive charge of the total system.

> The output says that the sum of the QM charge and the MM charges is zero.

Yes, the Sander output makes that statement. However, the summation of the
point charges as described above belies that.

> Creating a minimal example that illustrates the problem would likely be a
big help.

I understand that. I will try to produce one. However, while I am doing
that, I also have to meet a deadline for generating some results on the
current system of interest. Perhaps the code used to extract the point
charges could be examined to determine if there is an error in the point
charge selection process. I can send the prmtop and coordinate (rst7) file
by email, outside the mailing list, so they won't be blocked by size
limitations. Combined and compressed they slightly exceed the size limit
accepted.

Jim

James Kress Ph.D., President
The KressWorksR Institute
An IRS Approved 501 (c)(3) Charitable, Nonprofit Corporation
"ENGINEERING THE CURE" C
(248) 573-5499

Learn More and Donate At:
Website: http://www.kressworks.org
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KressWorks.Institute/

Confidentiality Notice | This e-mail message, including any attachments, is
or proprietary information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
immediately contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the