Re: [AMBER] Calculation of stacking energy of a RNA containing UUCG tetra loop

From: Jiri Sponer <sponer.ncbr.muni.cz>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2019 09:55:12 +0200 (MEST)

Yes, these QM numbers are correct.

For the latest QM benchmark and comparison with the AMBER force field see:
Investigations of Stacked DNA Base-Pair Steps: Highly Accurate Stacking
Interaction Energies, Energy Decomposition, and Many-Body Stacking Effects
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.jctc.8b00643

also
Can We Accurately Describe the Structure of Adenine Tracts in B-DNA?
Reference Quantum-Chemical Computations Reveal Overstabilization of
Stacking by Molecular Mechanics
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/ct3001238

The MM AMBER numbers should be similar to the QM benchmarks within very
few kcal/mol, usually slightly overestimated. Due to slide and roll
typical A-form stacking should be slightly weaker than B-DNA stacking
(plus the effect of T vs U).
  If there is a
larger difference, there must
be some technical glitch in the MM computations.
Try to see separately the vdW and elstat. terms.
-40 or -35 kcal/mol between two stacked base pairs is definitely
unrealistic.

Best wishes, Jiri
Jiri Sponer
Institute of Biophysics of the Czech Academy of Sciences
Kralovopolska 135
CZ-61265 Brno
Czech Republic
e-mail: sponer.ncbr.muni.cz