Re: [AMBER] PCA calculation projection

From: Pratul Agarwal <pratul.agarwal-lab.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 12:59:51 +0000

Aashish,

What did trajectory visualization show? Did you see some part of your protein moving more than others?

These kinds of results could be real. Protein motions can be anharmonic, which certainly seems to be the case for your protein. This is indicated by the projection on first PCA vector showing additional peak(s) with small populations. Please remember PCA is a quasi-harmonic approximation of the motions (fitting a second order/harmonic curve). If there are multiple peaks along a projection, it implies that there are multiple wells along the same eigenvector, in such cases PCA may not be the best technique to obtain accurate results.

Pratul

Pratul K. Agarwal, Ph.D.
(Editorial Board Member: PLoS ONE, Microbial Cell Factories)
Web: http://www.agarwal-lab.org/