Re: [AMBER] Explicit understanding the force computed from U(CMAP) term

From: David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2019 13:13:06 -0400

You can look in the pmemd code for the derivative calculations--the file is
going to be ${AMBERHOME}/src/pmemd/src/cuda/kBWU_cmap.h. You can thank /
blame me for making all of the little includables. There is no finite
difference calculation, it's a straight-up change-of-coordinates chain rule
application. You can also look in mdgx,
${AMBERHOME}/AmberTools/src/mdgx/BondContrib.c, to see a different
expression of the same thing for dihedrals. The CMAP is two dihedral
angles, computed one after the other. I think the only difference is that
the magnitude of the force comes not from computing [ K cos(N theta) ] but
rather evaluating the bicubic spline for magnitude and derivative in each
dimension. The chain rule for each set of four atoms A-B-C-D and B-C-D-E
should be the same as for the standard dihedrals after that. I'm working
in that code myself to try and port CMAP functionality to mdgx.

Dave