Re: [AMBER] Problems with iwrap

From: Thomas Cheatham <tec3.utah.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2019 23:14:45 +0000

Yes. Both are correct, it is just a matter of perception or interpretation. The system is periodic; in many molecular graphics programs (like Chimera or VMD) you can visualize the neighboring periodic images and see that both "interpretations" are equivalent.

You can also try to "image" using CPPTRAJ and the autoimage command...

With iwrap=0 it will appear that the solvent is diffusing away, however realistically (assuming constant pressure and no artifacts leading to vacuum bubbles) the solvent is just moving into a nearby periodic image (i.e. effectively crossing the box edge back into the other side if wrapped)...

--tec3