[AMBER] ELECTRIC_FIELD in md.out file does not match with md.in file

From: Gargi Borgohain <gargib2011.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2019 15:08:29 +0530

Dear AMBER users
I am trying to do NVT simulation of a protein using static external
electric field in z-direction. I am using pmemd module of AMBER18 package
that supports use of external electric field. md.in file used is as such:
Production simulation NVT ensemble
 &cntrl
  imin = 0,
  irest = 1,
  ntx = 5,
  ntb = 1,
  cut = 9.0,
  ntr = 0,
  ntc = 2,
  ntf = 2,
  tempi = 300.0,
  temp0 = 300.0,
  ntt = 3,
  gamma_ln = 1.0,
  ig = -1,
  iwrap = 1,
  efx = 0,
  efy = 0,
  efz = 300,
  efn = 1,
  nstlim = 20000,
  dt = 0.002,
  ntpr = 1000, ntwx = 2000, ntwr = 2000
 /
 &ewald
    nfft1=64, nfft2=64, nfft3=64,
 /
The out file shows that ELECTRIC_FIELD = -16777.6663. As written in Amber18
reference manual efz sets z-component of the electric field in
kcal/(mol*A*e) or V/m. My questions are
(1) if efz sets electric field at 300 V/m then how md.out file shows
ELECTRIC_FIELD = -16777.6663 (averaged over 20000 steps)?
(2) Is the unit of electric field in md.out file modified?
(3) Is the magnitude of electric field in md.out file modified?
(4) How can I invoke expected electric field such as 3.0 V/nm in md.in file?
Looking forward for your kind explanations and suggestions.
Thanking you.

Dr. Gargi Borgohain
Department of Chemistry
Cotton University